Here’s a simple and yummy treat! I found this recipe because I wanted to use up the rest of my sour cream and I have all the ingredients at home. I made this cake after work, but when we were done with dinner, we were too full to eat it. So the next morning, here’s our wonderful breakfast! This is a coffee cake and it is intended to be served with coffee or for break time. Coffee cake does not need to contain coffee, and my cake didn’t have any coffee, so I like to be more literal and changed the name at bit. Also instead of chocolate chips, I chopped up a bar of dark chocolate with almonds, used a little less sugar and didn’t sprinkle all the cinnamon-sugar topping. You may add chocolate chips in the filling or nuts or fruits. I think all the variations will taste good!
Chocolate and Cinnamon Breakfast Cake
Recipe adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod
2 cup flour
1½ tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tb brown sugar
1½ tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Cream butter and 3/4 c sugar until fluffy. Add and mix eggs, sour cream, and vanilla.
4. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
5. In a small bowl, stir together cinnamon sugar topping/filling ingredients.
6. Pour half of the cake batter onto baking pan. Sprinkle half cinnamon sugar over batter.
7. Spread rest of batter over and sprinkle cinnamon sugar and chocolate chips on top.
8. Bake 350° for 40 min or until golden and center comes clean.
9. Cool and serve with coffee.
I brewed up a pot of French roasted coffee in the morning and had it with my chocolate cinnamon breakfast cake! It was a perfect match:9 The cake is moist and crumbly too. Not too sweet and has Chocolate! Boyfriend approved! Both of us ate this throughout the day. Next time, I want to make a coffee cake with coffee!
Here’s nosy Yun Yun, who never likes to be left out of anything! Sunflowers were picked by my thoughtful boyfriend on his way back home from work:)