April 24, 2012
This past weekend we went camping and grilled some chicken and made s’mores. We had a fun time and finished most of the food we packed, yet we came back home with a pretty full bag of marshmallows. Aside from making rice krispies treats, I have used marshmallows to make fondant. I’m not a great cake baker, but decorating with fondant is lots of fun! Following is a recipe for marshmallow fondant. I made this two years ago during my Ace of Cakes phase. Marshmallow fondant has simple ingredients and easy steps, but makes an extremely sticky mess. Results are absolutely cute!
(makes about 2 lb fondant)
16 oz (1 lb) bag of mini marshmallows
2 lb bag of powder sugar
1/2 c Crisco vegetable shortening
2-5 tb water
Food coloring or flavored extracts (optional)
1. Melt marshmallows in microwave: add 2 tb water to marshmallows, microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until marshmallows are melted.
2. Grease hands generously. Place shortening in a bowl for easy access when working. (The next step will get very sticky.)
3. Add 3/4 bag of powder sugar to melted marshmallows and knead.
4. Add rest of powder sugar and continue to knead.
5. If fondant is dry, add 1/2 tb of water at a time.
6. Once the fondant forms into a smooth, elastic ball, it is ready to be rolled and shaped. To store for later used, wrap it in plastic wrap and place in a cool room or in the refrigerator. Knead soft when ready to use again. Add food coloring or flavoring to color fondant.
Alright, start to play!
A chocolate cake with butter cream frosting and marshmallow fondant. I didn’t have any food coloring and couldn’t figure out how to make the Bumbe figure gray. Yip, so brilliantly suggested to use the black sesame powder that we have in our cupboard. So Bumbe is made with sesame and Yun Yun is made with chocolate! Too cute to eat!
April 1, 2012
April 1st is my cat Bumbe’s birthday! It is no joke, although he probably thinks we’re fooling him every year. Bumbe is 7 years old today! And I’d like to share with you 7 interesting facts about my cat.
1. Bumbe has a Chinese name, Juebalbal (珠波波). We call him that at home.
2. We adopted him from the SPCA, due to returning a sick kitten.
3. During his first year, Bumbe had another cat roommate named Tigey. Then mom and dad decided to live together.
4. He is a star in a college newspaper comic strip entitled, Bumbe the Cat.
5. Every night 10 minutes before midnight, Bumbe always remind me it is bedtime and cuddle time.
6. He is toilet trained!
7. Bumbe snores! Loud!
Here are some pictures from his birthday party. Usually we only have one other cat, Yun Yun the guest of honor, at the party. This time we included more kitty guests! Well…make believe ones. Anyways, Happy Birthday Bumbe!
Cute and awkward picture together:) They were extremely tolerant of the whole shenanigan. Perhaps years of posing in outfits for me. Cat party inspired by Oh Happy Day with lots of fun, cute party ideas and hats.
Happy Birthday Bumbe!
Take a look at my cat’s previous birthday looks from my very first post! Yip bought me and Bumbe an elegant lady cake to celebrate:D
August 1, 2011
My cat Yun Yun is 5 years old today! To the kitty who never sit stills, sweet, curious, and always up to something: Happy Birthday! We got Yun Yun when she was 3 months old at the SPCA. She was a tiny kitty with a squishy face and beautiful colors. Yun Yun just brings a lot of amusing moments into our daily lives and is a very special member of our family. For her birthday, I made her a pink princess strawberry cake.
Cake didn’t turn out so good. It was too hot, everything just ended up melting:( The ball and string is Yun Yun’s new favorite toy.
Let’s make a wish! You’re a big kitty now :)
April 1, 2011
Today is my cat Bumbe’s birthday. He is 6 years old. We adopted Bumbe at the SPCA when he was 6 months old. I fell in love with his big eyes and his chubby figure. This silly cat just made us laugh. He is a timid cat, but is the most affectionate once you gain his trust. All in all, Bumbe is very special to me. So on his birthday, I like to do something to spark up his normal sleep, eat, sleep, eat routine.
Every year on his birthday, I make him a birthday cone hat and throw him a little birthday party. Yeah I know…crazy cat lady! Hey, I get an excuse to eat dessert. Plus Bumbe has a guest of honor, my other cat Yun Yun. Kitten party, isn’t that a cute affair:)
To catch you up on the birthday boy, here’s a time line of his birthday portrait from age 1 to 5:
Today, 6 years old Bumbe, in a piggy theme birthday hat: